Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thoughts on Othello - part 3 - a scene?

Lots of writing and I haven't yet gotten to any impressions of Rogue's production. Well, I can't get to the entire play right now but I'll get to one scene so as to make you believe I really went there.

If you don't see another scene (or play) for the rest of the year, see the scene between Desdemona and Emilia as it was played out the night I was there by Avis Judd and Patty Gallagher. It's the famous scene in the last act, "sing willow, willow, willow." It wasn't a "perfect" scene the night I was there but it was damn good. And it's not perfection that we seek as spectators, but rather lives and relationships and purpose and action and story and thoughts and emotions. And such was present in that scene that night. Avis Judd and Patty Gallagher sought something as artists in that scene, taking us with them in their search. There were no histrionics or mistaking energy and business for dramatic action and emotion - it was the real deal. Words were backed by actual thoughts, feeling was backed by actual sensation and the reactions to one another were backed by actual listening and hearing and empathizing. And the words as written by Shakespeare suddenly grew in leaps and bounds bringing meaning and relevance, rhythm and metaphor, sound and logic alive in the moment as theatre, as drama. And I as a spectator begin to think and feel and imagine. Not just with my mind but with my entire biological being. The words had an impact on me via sound, the movements and postures of the characters impacted me visually, and my mind and feelings worked those things together in anticipation of what was to come. As played out by Avis Judd and Patty Gallagher that night, it was a properly quiet and powerful scene - a prelude to what is to come later in the play, a tribute to what is good, a lament and lesson of what is wrong, and a celebration somehow of dedication and beauty and love and possibilities...all in one. All in one. And all in ones like that can only happen when playwright words merge truly and logically and literally with the creative process of the performers.

No comments:

Post a Comment