Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thoughts on Othello - part six

One thing I didn't mention about Othello. I said he is a great story teller, lover, warrior, things like that - but to cap it off, dude is a party animal! Which just about completes all the things some of us aspire to and to be.

In the scene where he returns victorious to Cypress and we have the great "reunion kiss" that I mentioned in an earlier post, Othello makes the announcement of the end of battle, the war, which in large part was due to the storm that has been ravaging the island. Shortly after that announcement comes a proclomation - an island party!
I don't know the exact lines but something about everyone is to get busy partying, some to light bonfires, music, etc. It's to be a celebration for the end of war and also a wedding reception party for Othello and Desdemona. Dude goes in during the middle of the night and steals away the hot young daughter of a powerful and prominent citizen, goes off to fight a war, and then comes back to party like its 1999. Now me being me, I imagine this island party scene to go down big.

The theme of the party is 'Freelove." (as made up by me). And I know this is America and we have certain retarded rules about what is allowed on stage in theatres and what is not...and I'm not talking about sex or nudity mind you...I'm talking about flames - some good bonfires and bbqs happening. Cause that is what I imagine in the scene. BBQ's, bonfires, drinking, dancing, music, skimpy clothes, freelove all around. Hey, Men have been at war and now everyone wants to get it on. Its an all day and night party mind you. This is one of Othello's legendary shindigs. Its big and bold and passionate like him. If you are on the A list - you got it made. Island party!

That becomes the backdrop for more of Iago's scheming of course, and he proceeds to get Cassio drunk. Now Rogue Theatre had a nice little rousing scene of this with music and drinking - this particular section. Their production for various reasons played down and edited some of the war references and context - which is something often done in productions these days. And in the manner of presentation of the play they were not going to haul barrels on stage to light up some bonfires and roast some lambs - to my lament, to my lament. Neither was there going to be sensual love making to stand in stark contrast to Iago's distant persona - to my lament, to my lament. Neither was there going to be cliff diving - to my lament. Or swinging from the rafters and trees - yes, to my lament. But they did have the rousing little "haha drinking" scene with songs, to get Cassio drunk. And I enjoyed it.

Othello via the Rogue was not the bold party dude type. Nathan Crocker's Othello was more proper and prim and well behaved and mannered and official acting and sounding at all times. Formal. I had a bit of a hard time believing this dude would go in the middle of the night to steal the hot young chicka out of the house. He behaved more like an A-Student goody two shoes, sometimes even walking around reading as if he was working on some intellectual project, a thesis perhaps. Now there is logic in that interpetation, reason for it. But me being me, I was hoping for a more swaggering, bold, bravado, come-with-me-cause-this-is-where-its-at kind of guy. Something that would really make Iago jealous. Othello can be that smart and succesful bad boy who gets the ladies. Hey, he gets them somehow, and I dont think its because he is prim and proper and official at all times. Ladies love him and men want to be him. And sometimes vice-versa. And then there is Iago - who is afraid of him and completely jealous of him. In all else in life, until Othello came along, Iago, with his brain and mind and good humor, his honesty etc, got the attention and did all the right things. Now comes Othello, with a bigger strut in his step, a more powerful sword, experience to make others wish they had only, etc, etc, etc. And it drives Iago bonkers! Especially after Othello hops in the sack with his wife (perhaps). (In the unsaid and said behavior between Desdemona and Emelia comes some depth and contrast and interesting relationship in that manner).

Storm, kiss, party, ...love this play!

No comments:

Post a Comment