Thursday, August 6, 2009

Tucson is Out of Control

Are we really big and bad enough, our theatre community here in this city, this area, to have the Arizona Rose Theatre AND The Arid Rose Theatre?! AND the new group in Marana and the group in Green Valley? It seems like week by week new efforts, new groups, spring to life. Its out of control! Its totally fabulous but who would have thought!

Right now its like web domain names - you gotta get the name of your theatre company while and when you can. Therefore, I'm staking claim to the following names. (Not that I have any intent of going beyond Ubi Sunt or Actor's Gymnasium but just for fun.)

Creosote Umbrella Theatre
Teatro Camino Real
Blue Skies and Art
Pueblo Gardens Stageworks
Adobe Players

And then there are names of Theatres around the U.S. and the world that I admire that I wish had thought of like Menos Fortas or Remains Theatre Ensemble for examples.

Send me your favorite names for groups.

4 comments:

  1. The Council Built It - We Just Use It Theatre
    Let Me Explain It All In The Programme Theatre

    ")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Yes, I think those are out there somewhere but currently operating under second names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you wrote about this David! This gives me an opportunity to put a couple of new names out there. One is for my studio, which has a sometimes home at ARTFARE and will roam as well (Flagstaff next month, Phoenix the next), and the other is for a NEW THEATRE COMPANY (oh, no - say it isn't so!). This theatre company is special, though, and is more like a program. It's cool, man. Lofty goals, and an extention of my work with teenage perfomers at Muse and then Sunnyside High.

    Okay. So, the studio name is: "Open Studio for Actors." Clever, I know. I just couldn't come up with anything fancier. It reflects the actual open studios I'll be holding in September and beyond, but also speaks to an 'openness' that is found in the atmosphere of a great class, workshop, or rehearsal, and the 'openness' we actors like to have to allow impulse to spring us into action.

    The other is "TEEN STREET TUCSON - a performing arts company." It's a training and performance company for teens who have a strong desire to be outstanding performing artists and citizens. This is not a social club, but a true training ground for young actors that will inspire original work for live theatre and film. Anyway, you can see a bit more about it at steveandersonacting.com. We're holding auditions next month down at ARTFARE.

    I'll take a little time and add more names to the list you started. What fun!

    Steve Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome news Steve! And the names are perfect!

    ReplyDelete