Thursday, May 28, 2009

Flowers


Since you asked. The flower pictures that accompany most posts here, save for the orchid, are just ones I took with my camera phone along the way of my days recently. It seems apropos. Heck, we all know of and have read several times "The Flower in Drama" by Zeami. Right? Its a common metaphor anyway. At one of the last Actor's Gymnasium sessions we even had a discussion of Ikebana. You shouldn't have missed it. And now that I'm thinking of it there was another amazing time in Actor's Gymnasium a couple of years ago when Tom Wentzel did this brilliant improvisation with flowers in a vase. He had and kept us all spellbound. You shouldn't have missed that either! Stanislavsky often made references to nature and flowers in particular in his discussions with the Moscow Art Theatre. Nature as inspiration you might say. Through my own work with/at Prescott College there is great exposure to ideas of nature and environment, and nature inspired performance even. (Keep alert for an upcoming announcement about that btw - nature inspired performance.). Anyway, I stay on the lookout for things blooming, whether they be native plants or otherwise these days. My own yard and house is lacking its usual flair right now. I do have sunflowers, some melon vines that recently bloomed, periwinkle, some cactus, and a few others. Haven't been able to get an orchid to bloom in forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment