Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Variation


I'm breaking my "rules" mixing theatre with film today. But I have my reasons. Check out this post in The Sheila Variations http://www.sheilaomalley.com/archives/011107.html called A Really Well-Written Scene. Then check out Sheila's entire blog in general. There is an amazing post today on Mickey Rourke and the movie Barfly. Sheila was part of the Cactus Theatre in Chicago - but after I had returned to Tucson. Before and after her time in Chicago though she was a dedicated student of great and wonderful actors and all things "Method." I hear she is a wonderful actress herself and I know she is a great writer. Please take a look.

With all the new scripts by our local writers floating around out there, some being produced here in Tucson and others being produced elsewhere, I thought it might be good to consider the question of dialogue, as elusive as a topic as that is. The discussions of new scripts that I hear include ideas about plot or character or facts or theatrical devices, things like that. But I never hear a meaty discussion about dialogue - and that is the very thing that a script is really. Anyway, I think Sheila gives a hell of a description in that post of dialogue (and actors).

No comments:

Post a Comment