Monday, May 18, 2009

New Season Shows


Call me hopelessly old school, but here are the shows I am most looking forward to seeing in the 2009 - 2010 Season.

Picnic, by William Inge
Live Theatre Workshop
April 2010

I love this play! I was in this play one long hot summer ago. It was at the UA. I played the paperboy. Jack Wagner was Hal. Dianne Winslow and Dr. Lang were in it as Rosemary and Howard. It was a hoot! They don't make scenes like the one when Rosemary begs Howard to marry her anymore - funny, tragic, sad, frustrating, all at once.

The Glass Menagerie, by Tennessee Williams
Arizona Theatre Company
Feb, Mar 2010

Who cares how many times you have seen it, what's not to love about it? And just because I directed the definitive production several, several years ago...JK...doesn't mean I'm not excited to see it onstage once again. It's a masterpiece.

Our Town, by Thorton Wilder
The Rogue Theatre
Jan 2010

The list is reading like a copy of Great American Plays. This play doesn't make my top five list of all time favorite and best plays but it probably would make my top ten. The battle cry for those of us who adore it is remove the sentimentality (that might be true of the two previous plays as well) and take a stark, honest look at life.

Othello, by that obscure British playwright, William Shakespeare
The Rogue Theatre
April 2010

"It is the cause, it is the cause, my soul"

(Keep the editors away from this writer and he is pretty darn good, pretty darn good).

I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested in these plays too. As I have read about or seen recent concept versions:
    Our Town with a diverse multi-racial etc. small town "America"
    Picnic with a gay love story at the center
    Glass Menagerie with an angry, unsympathetic, unreliable narrator Tom

    ReplyDelete