Monday, September 16, 2013

The Beginnings of Playscript Analysis. Quickly.

When I am looking at a playscript, the obvious task is how to turn it into a stage performance. So like many people I begin to analyse it in a particular way. I take note of my first general impression(and the actors general impressions)if this is a very first reading and introduction to the play. But at this point I do not go beyond the simple kind of "I liked it" or "It confuses me" or "That character stands out" statements. Very general, but no other discussion. The next go through the play is only to start gathering facts that are obvious in the script, all the where, when, who, etc. And only facts actually noted or evident. No making things up or suggesting that "it could be..." The gathering of facts can also mean/include such things as how often "time" is referred to in a particular script. I'm thinking of The Cherry Orchard when I mention that for example. In other words, some notable trait about the overall script can also be mentioned at this time. The next go through, is meant to start articulating what the sequence of actions is. And this is done like a story-telling process. "This guy is sleeping and this girl comes running in and wakes him up. He asks her what time it is and she starts going about trying to straighten up cushions, ...etc." Told like a story. Like a series of little events. Once you make that kind of "description," you have taken the first real step toward turning the words into action and stage behavior. Now you can have actors work immediately with the action itself, using themselves in their entirety. That is the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment