Thursday, February 4, 2010

Hell Freezes Over!

I'm about to sing the praises of Arizona Theatre Company. Shocking but true. For ten years or so, such a notion has been strange to impossible for me. I might have said previously, "If you like technical wizardry and gadgetry in theatre, sets that are nice if not truly interesting and meaningful, silliness and buffoonery, dark skinned people singing-dancing-and smiling, over-priced tickets, then go see shows at Arizona Theatre Company." But I wouldn't have actually praised them. Times change. I change. And I'm happy to say that while they may not have changed they are at least doing something that makes sense to me. They are doing a series of free public events around the production of The Glass Menagerie - and I was the first one to sign up for the Actor's Lab, Text Analysis through Scene Study Workshop! That's right, numero uno!

(Check out the theatre announcement list or perhaps their website for the full listing of events, and then get yourself involved too!) .



I love the play, The Glass Menagerie. It might be a hard case convincing a few knuckleheads, as to the relevance and importance of this play today, but then again lots of great work goes unnoticed and unappreciated...in favor of ...uh...other plays. Anyway, I am looking forward to the workshop, to learning a little more about the play perhaps, and meeting the facilitator and the other attendees - as well as seeing the production itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment