Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Shirley Ellis or is it Carlisle Valentine

I haven't seen it but I've heard from at least two good sources that Carlisle Ellis rocks the house in "Shirley Valentine" at Live Theatre Workshop. All my bias' (good and bad) probably will prevent me from seeing this show - the British thing, its a "chick flick," stuff like that you know. If I do go of course it would be to see Carlisle in the role. I think Carlisle has the most unique and interesting voice (as in vocal quality) of any actor or actress in Tucson. Wrapped around a British dialect gives me pause - not because Carlisle couldn't do it but because, well, its British! That aside, her voice is outstanding! Its rich, melodious, enchanting and she knows how to utilize it as real physical action, not merely pretty sounds or correct sounds. When she activates her voice, it is with clear and specific intent and the action is carried along. Put that together with her eyes and her warm personality and ka-boom, "Stage Presence!"

No comments:

Post a Comment