Monday, October 1, 2012

initiating event

My posts are slightly behind the actual rehearsal schedule...but that is o.k. The intent of my analysis is to eventually pinpoint what my character is doing, thinking, feeling, wanting, moment by moment throughout the play. In doing this, I tend to avoid some common phrases and terminology. Not that they are bad. I just don't use them. For example "character arc." And although this is not a purely cold intellectual effort I am trying to avoid comparisons and assumptions at this point, things such as "oh, this character is like my uncle john" or "this character reminds me of those people who always...." And I am especially avoiding metaphors or summations at this point. I am repeating this, having said it in earlier posts, but its importance bears that. So onward. To the narrative of events now I can add other pieces of information contained in the script. Other characters describe my character in past events as "having been full of beans, busy organizing." Or they describe the effects of something my character has done, such as creating this incredible garden. The events and descriptions listed therefore in the script give rise to certain characteristics of personality perhaps - an energetic man, well organized, meticulous, detailed and caring. He is mentioned and seen as a man who can recite long passages of the old testament by heart. He remembers names and details of places, things, people, etc. So we can imagine he pays great attention and/or his mind is sharp and clear. We can imagine that he is a patient man, as many of the tasks and events to which he was involved would require such a quality. We know according to the script that the character of Warren Lee teased and tormented Jess in mean and cruel ways for several months before Jess finally broke, his patience exasperated, and he slapped Warren Lee. This slap, the initiating event to this series of events that eventually becomes this play, now begins to have a context. Slapping this boy sends Jess' life in a completely different and unexpected direction. But I can begin to imagine and understand how "out of character" this action is. I can put it in context with everything else and I can wonder how it felt for him in that very moment. Perhaps the action surprised even himself. Did he regret it immediately afterward? No doubt he now has many thoughts and feelings associated with this event, complex and deep. But here now I have my basis, a general understanding of the initiating event of the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment