Monday, October 8, 2012

Mixtape post part I

Back to Mixtape! I had a great time going to see this show. I found the whole experience lovely on many levels - not the least of which was feeling like part of a theatre community, which was now taking a leap forward in its growth, expansion, creativity and originality. I yearn for new plays, new works. I want to hear and experience signature "voices" that grow out of this time and place, and know of the inspiration found in the present, from among friends and family and co-workers and supporters of our theatre community. I want to see varying shapes and sizes and forms and constructs, all wrought from the collective work and individual talents gathered around here. And so the emergence of Mixtape was a bright signal, at least in my mind. It rolled out with ambition, determination and happiness, full of silly thank-god seemingly meaningless and amateurish moments mixed freely with these deeply profound difficult impossible attempts at revelation. But let me be clear. I am not being a cheerleader for a theatrical experience of "experimentation" or "good try." Too much was right-on for that to be the case. Rather I am emphasizing the range and bravado and the scope of life from which the performers drew the material of their creativity - nothing too sacred, nothing too base, everything in. And so the billing of the performance, it subtitle, "Physical. Variety. Show." held true. Physical was the bodies in a consciously active state of expression - emphasis on the conscious part. Variety was the anything goes framework. Show was the vigor and the obvious sense of performers and spectators tied together in this one. I loved it. And I will be writing more. And I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment