Sunday, June 14, 2009

Patrick and The World

I love Patrick Baliani. Then again, everyone I know loves Patrick Baliani. In fact, I believe the whole world loves Patrick Baliani. How does the saying go? What's not to love?! We love him with good reason. His poor wife and kids have to put up with the rest of us, the world at large, always wanting or hoping for his time, his ideas, his attention. But we love his wife and children as much as we love him. O.k. I'm gushing. But everyone does on this subject.

Over the years with his teaching, writing, acting, directing, and all around presence, Patrick has made lasting and wonderful contributions to our theatre community here. Take a random sample from any of his University of Arizona students over the years and they will all hands down sing his praise and specifically articulate what it was that was so special about being in his class. Ask the group of distinguished, vibrant and intelligent people who attend his seminars at Academy Village about Patrick and they will get a gleam in their eyes. Ask the students, faculty or staff at Prescott College, Tucson Center who have had a chance to work with Patrick and the first response is always "when is Patrick coming back?" Check with any of his many friends from over the years and it will be unanimous. We love him and we love to work with him - we are all happy repeat offenders in that regard!

All that said makes only a very, very small scratch in that particular iceberg.

Very recently Patrick asked me to join Steve Anderson, Cindy Meier and Joe McGrath for an upcoming afternoon panel on "King Lear" for his summer Honors College course. Of course I said yes. (Afterall, I've heard its a good play). Now Cindy Meier and Joe McGrath need virtually no introduction here - live, laugh, love Rogue Theatre! Joe McGrath is the hardest working man in theatre and Cindy Meier is a close second. OK, I know that didn't sound quite right. Let me re-phrase that. Cindy Meier is the hardest working woman in theatre and Joe McGrath is a close second. Um, Cindy and Joe are the hardest working people in theatre and their efforts and talents are well evident. In fact the most common saying by actors in Tucson is "I want to get cast at Rogue." Now Steve Anderson shouldn't need an introduction but he is perhaps the best kept secret in all of Tucson when it comes to acting, directing, teaching, play analysis, Theatre in general, and all around great work. He is not, however, unknown to his students and family and those of us who have been lucky enough to work with him. I have had to cancel many projects because Steve was not available and no one else would do. At least its so in my fantasy and imagination. Cindy, Joe, Steve...your individual posts are coming baby! And I will see you all in a month or so on the panel. Right now, I gotta get back to Brother Baliani.

Do I have all day to write? Because that is what it would take really to describe all the things Patrick has done. But this is not a lifetime achievement speech or anything so I won't go that far.

I would not want to overlook or neglect to mention though that Patrick is a marvelous story teller. I have spent way too much time rolling on the floor with laughter as he is recounts some experience of his. And if Patrick wasn't Patrick he might have been Stephen Jay Gould or someone like that. He has a knack for making sense of things that at first thought have no connection whatsoever. He brings together subjects and ideas that few would dare attempt to do. All in a days work.

There is a certain zest with which Patrick conducts his classes and approaches life in general. I'm not enough of a word artists to capture its essence here. (I met someone once and said excitedly "Oh, you're the poet I heard about." He replied flatly, "No, I'm a word artist." Oh, oh, oh. So for now, I'm gaging "word artist" above "poet" but saying I'm neither "word artist" nor "poet" enough to capture the essence of that zest descriptively). It is of the appealing sort though, and backed by or fueled by good and intelligent purpose, and fun, just fun to be around.

Last year Patrick did the translation/adaptation of Pirandello's play "Six Characters In Search of an Author" for Cindy and Joe and the Rogue Theatre. And it was pretty darn good. He once did an adaptation of that very same play for Third St. Kids and it was genius. He followed that with an original work that he wrote specifically for that group and at a National Disability Conference held in Phoenix that year that play rocked the house!

And then there was Patrick playing my alcoholic father in Inge's "The Disposal." Well, the rehearsals themselves are legendary among the few of us who were there, and Patrick's performance itself was truly one for the ages.

Yes indeed, we all love Patrick and he is one of our Treasures here in Tucson. (He might hate me for that cliche. Told ya I'm no word artist).

No comments:

Post a Comment