Monday, March 22, 2010

Rambunctious Enthusiasm

There is an awesome picture for Dance in the Red (Art.If.Act Dance Project) on the Tucson Stage List. To me it looks invigorating, cool, and full of love and life and enthusiasm. A little bit daring even, with an accelerated attitude. And those are the very things I often find missing, or finding myself longing for when I am at a theatrical spectacle. I sense things too contained, too stilted, too conventional, too controlled, too expected. I am speaking general experience - there are small exceptions. But commonly, even at productions I am enjoying, I find myself as a spectator longing for vibrancy, a reckless abandon within the boundaries, absolute joy, sense of adventure, these kinds of things, be it within a moment, a scene, or an entire production, something to make the spectacle "take off" and become "magical." I always feel I am watching re-created pretend life, no matter how interesting and compelling, rather than something that has come surprisingly to life. Mind you, this has nothing to do with style, i.e. realism, naturalism, etc. No matter how the form and content mesh, there is always the question, or problem, for artists and spectators of does this thing move on its own, does it have life, excitement? or is it earthbound, banal?

No comments:

Post a Comment