Friday, March 19, 2010

You Don't Bring Sonia Moore in This Household! and other tales.

This past Tuesday, I met up with Royce, Howard and Patrick for a two hours session of theatre talk (geeky, geeky, geeky). This event was supposed to take place before or after our trek to Rogue Theatre and the Beckett plays, a beer drinking, pizza grubbing, theatre talking macho-fest. But one of the four of us scheduled a date along. As I told this one, I would always recommend taking a date, especially one with the charm, good looks and education of this young lady, over going along with Cretans the likes of us. But don't mix the two! It won't work! And another of the four developed a birthday bash conflict. So, plan B became meet on Tues. And so we did.

This session was intense. I was the last to arrive and there were essays on the table! Patrick was a couple of expressos to the wind, just getting warmed up, Howard was in midday form with those compound questions, and Royce always has some new element or purpose he is in full study on...usually the Brits (heaven help me). And I was early! At least to our scheduled time. Needless to say, two hours flew by!

I railed at Royce that he needed to see the short clip of Gennadi Bogdanov doing Lucky's monologue from WFG. In fact, he still needs to do so and I'm awaiting his call as this goes to post. Somehow out of that Beckett/Bogdanov/NotellingwhatcrapIwassaying talk, Royce says..."David, what acting teachers do you like/recommend?" Now I can forgive Royce because you will not meet a more appreciative, respectful, and gracious young man. He is old school. Fathers all over this land are tying to arrange marriages between their daughters and Royce. Would we all grew up along these lines. If my own daughter were a little older...
I have met his mother, and while Royce is completely his own man, it's evident charm and personality run in the family. But enough of that. He said "David, what acting teachers do you like/recommend?" Said it very sincerely. Now, we knew in the moment Royce wasn't talking about someone local in town who runs a workshop or whatever. He meant anyone in the history of theatre. "David, what acting teachers...is there someone I should read?"

I didn't fall out of my chair. I suddenly realized for the time I have spent with Royce, working on monologues, hanging out talking, I have given him many references, never seemingly stressing one over another, just running a litany of great artists past and present, each wonderful and applicable to the moment and purpose.

But let's pause more. Reflect. "David, what acting teachers...is there someone I should read?"
Several levels to consider. There is a tired old someone out there somewhere wagging a finger perhaps and saying "You can't learn to act from reading a book!" To which I say emphatically "No shit, Sherlock." (I cuss when I'm playing basketball, teaching Actor's Gymnasium, and sometimes writing this blog. Rarely otherwise). But there is a world of inspiration and ideas and practical substance out there in books about acting for those would seek it. But which books? When the words Stanislavsky and Strasberg roll out of my mouth in response to Royce's question, which actual writings will I send him to?

The problem was I didn't get that far in my considerations in that precise moment. I just said "Lee Strasberg." and then I said kind of comically "I like Stanislavsky too." And Royce said "Which one? I've Read his first book?" (referring to Stanislavsky). I didn't hearken back as I should have, to the days when I wanted to know what book to read and my teacher/mentor patiently loaned me book after book after book with quiet and thoughtful explanation of each. Instead I said "Royce! Weren't you at my Stanislavsky talk?" He said, "Which one?" O.K. I've given a few over the past couple of years, but to me they all equal one. Everyone should have been at each session - thereby, equalling one talk! Then I remembered, Royce came late, missed all that crucial stuff on the publications of Stanislavsky's work, etc.

The years go slowly by...

Then Royce asked about Sonia Moore...if I liked her work. I ripped up the marriage contract I had just drafted between Royce and my young daughter. Sonia Moore. No. The only one who likes Sonia Moore is Phil Bennett. In like twenty seconds I was exasperated. All my years of work and preparation and patience, even the normal licking of my chops and glimmer in my eyes when someone says things like "David, who do you like in acting?" was gone. If we were father and son it would have went to one of those old fashioned love/hate/can't communicate fights. I would have stood up and shouted "You don't bring Sonia Moore into this household!" Stormed out. Mother (played by Howard in this case) would have come to comfort him, baby him. "Son, your father just wants you to love the real Stanislavsky as much as he does." "I can't help it Mama, I was reading Zeami, the Flower in Drama..." "Talk to your father about that then. He mentioned Zeami just the other day in his talk. Let that lead you back together. But don't mention Sonia Moore. Afterall, your father is right. She is junk." "Do you think he will let me keep the Sarah Bernhardt biography?" "Let's keep that between you and me. We will let that be our little secret. If your father asks, I will tell him its mine. That I'm doing comparative study research." "Thank you mama." "Oh, and by the way son, don't mention to your father about that musical theatre class you are taking either." "But why not? Uncle (Patrick) is in that class." "Just don't mention it! Now off you go to read My Life in Art for the one hundredth time! Scoot!"

On a more serious note. My answer to Royce came down to Lee Strasberg, A Dream of Passion. You see Royce has been among the Brits, and the LAMDA's and the Phil's. In their household, you cannot mention Lee. These things happen. So we have to go directly to the source, to the beginning so to speak. We have to get directly to the heart of the matter. In other instances, I might make a different recommendation, related closely of course, but different.

I believe in Royce. He is smart and talented. With or without Lee Strasberg, Royce will do wonderful things. But if he wants the specifics his talents deserve - Lee is the one.

No comments:

Post a Comment